Sunday, July 30, 2006

Enterprise UI Design Patterns anyone?

As mentioned in my previous post, I have been closely following the UI design patterns published on the Internet. These patterns are really problem solver, however, I feel the majority of the patterns do not apply to the type of web application I am building.

In my current company and previous ones, I build web application for business use. This type of application have their own distinct characteristics and problems:
  • Manipulates a lot of data in form layout
  • Majority of the operations are CRUD (Create Read Update Delete)
  • Data validations
  • Hierarchical and flat data structure
  • Deals with master-detail relationship
  • etc.

I have been identifying some UI patterns that my team and I often use in the web application to tackle the same repeating problems. In the next posts, I will start documenting those UI patterns so that my reader can benefit from it. Feel free to comment on my patterns as I always need to continuously improve them.

No comments: